Monday, October 5, 2015

My Name is Sister Wadsworth: I'm a Missionary, A Hurricane Survivor, and I'm a Mormon


Time is going by so fast! Probably because we are so busy, but it's crazy!! For preparation day we seriously just took a break from life and stayed in our pad most of the day because of my foot and we were just tired. We had a lesson with our investigator who is getting baptized next month. We took her to a member's house and these poor members!!! I have never seen saints get persecuted as much as they do here in NY. Their neighbors were like, super mad for no reason and the straw on the camels back was when they said (after some other unpleasant things) "AND you're Mormon!" Now I see why some people might say New Yorkers are mean....they sure can be if they want to! 

Tuesday I went to Bushwick with Hermana Lewis, oh my goodness we had quite the exchange.  I'm not really sure why I have the flu but I think it's because of not ever fully recovering from my foot (although my foot is a lot better now!! #yessss) but I go with this sister to a member's house and I was seriously passing out from NyQuil and then the people's cat came up to Hna. Lewis so she petted it but she's allergic so her eyes got all bloodshot...we were both a wreck. The member was cooking us some Hispanic food but it seriously took her the whole time so from 7-8:30 we sat there, dying. She made stuff with shrimp in it and obvi I will throw up if I eat it so when I told her I was allergic she started making something different...bad mistake. So it took even LONGER and then when we finally got to the lesson she left the room and we couldn't even teach her! So we taught her daughter and then left. It was quite the evening, let me tell ya. People think the hardest part of missionary work is rejection but I would have to disagree, it's acceptance and then being openly ignored ..... 

The next day we had our Zone Training Meeting in Midwood, it's always good to go back to the motherland! People always think that I can play the piano for these things but I still can't play so it's always embarrassing but whatever, it was a good meeting. One of the sisters gave a workshop about being a consecrated missionary and it was so good, it totally applies to normal life, we should be giving our all to God wherever we're at in life. Oh and we were notified that there's going to be a hurricane. Not like we needed to be notified because it seriously already WAS a hurricane outside it was raining so hard! After the meeting I came to Bushwick with Sister Cox and Sister Skinner (yaaaassss) we had a great night, i.e. We got cancelled on for everything so we walked around in the rain trying to find people who would let us in. No one did ha ha. Probs got pneumonia but it was a good night anyways! Something I love about these two sisters is that no matter the circumstances they are ALWAYS happy and laughing about everything. Attitude is seriously everything in this work. Next day we went to THEIR Zone Training Meeting ha ha so many meetings!! And then the hurricane hit..

So it kinda hit the night before, but when we came out the meeting it was full on war between the rain, my hair, umbrella, and me. It's like trying to walk through a pressure washer in a dress holding your luggage cause you're on an exchange plus an umbrella that doesn't do anything to keep you dry, wearing the raincoat you got from someone who is half your height because you're an idiot and sent yours home because OBVIOUSLY it wasn't going to get cold before November 25th, all the while your hair is stabbing you in the eyeballs cause the lady who cut it when you were 15 didn't do the layers right so now they don't fit into a get the picture. And hence the title of the email seeings as how I am quite proud of myself for being alive to write this. I walked around with Sister Skinner and Cox for a few hours in this but we finally made it to back to Bensonhurst. I made em sit down while I made soup and biscuits. I was blending the soup and the round little plastic thing that goes in the lid fell THROUGH the lid into the blender so the carrot curry soup turned into carrot plastic soup. Also it's like 20 degrees outside but our landlord won't turn on the heat so I have been sleeping with like 15 million pairs of socks...yeah It was just a bad day. My comp got back from her exchange in Staten Island and we went out for an appointment. Well of course the bus wasn't running so we waited in the tropical storm for 30 minutes before we called a less-active to see if we could come over. She said yes! We went and had an awesome lesson, the spirit was strong and her and her husband both felt it. It was the best! The best worst day ever! Except for the day after that, Saturday haha. This doesn't end guys I'm just getting started. 

Obviously Conference is the best thing of my life. In between sessions one of our members was kind enough to make us some legit Brooklyn Italian food. Too bad it made us sicker than sick haha. We got on the bus to our investigator's house to watch the second session and had to get off twice to throw up. That doesn't even make me mad! I'm only mad because we missed the first of the session when they called the new apostles. ARE YOU KIDDING ME. ah. But we had massive miracles the remainder of the evening, we went to look up a referral and the person who referred them said that they wouldn't be too interested but the lady was so nice! We had a lesson and she invited us back! Then we had a miracle with prayer. One of our members was having some family struggles and asked us to pray for her. I usually pray when I get home at night but I asked Sister Anderson if we could pray right then. We did and the member texted us a short time later and said that things had worked themselves out!

Around 8:50 we arrived in front of our house. We both still felt sick from the food and motion sick from the bus. I was about in tears but me and my companion decided we wouldn't go in till 9. I wanted to go home. Not inside the gate and up the stairs...I wanted to go Nevada home. I felt sure that no one cared which is so dumb but that's just what I felt. As we walked I started to tear up for a different dumb was I being? I felt like the Savior was walking right next to me and He definitely cared. He was feeling everything I felt in that moment, and He wanted to help. I still wondered why we had to stay out in the terrible weather. There was no one in sight to talk to but we walked across the street to go see a woman I had met last week. We didn't have her apartment number so we said a prayer and called her. After about 10 rings she answered! She had already said she wasn't interested so I wasn't sure why we should try again but I just asked her how she was and she said she was sick. I told her conference tomorrow would cheer her up and we would pick her up the next morning. She agreed! 


We went to our investigators church and it was the most hysterical thing of my life! It was like EFY haha they had us stand up and sing while we clapped and danced. It felt weird to do that and then go into the chapel of our church and listen to the living prophet ha ha. The spirit definitely speaks quietly! The picture of her is the best, she was all gussied up and it was sooooo great, yaaaaas. I also see why our investigator is so confused. Their church didn't really teach anything, they just danced and messed around. We are so lucky to be in a church where people GET IT. I heart our church so much. It requires somethings of our isn't just a happy-go-lucky concert experience 1 hour each week. It is taxing, fulfilling, and joyful all at the same time. It is a lifestyle, not a Sabbath Day commitment. I love the gospel and the God that it leads us back to. I'm grateful for a Savior who loves us enough to let us go through hard things, so we can LEARN!! 
Love you all,
Sister Wadsworth

1. Exchange #1 of the week. These girls>>
2. Exchange #2: bro pic
3. Hurricane survivors!

No comments:

Post a Comment