Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Another week in the Big Apple

11-17-15

Oh my heck what is life? You'd think after being here for 18 months I'd have experienced it all....nope!! Everything has been super intense this week but I wouldn't trade a second of it!
We had a meeting with sweet Sister Reynolds and all the other Sister Training Leaders and used President Nelson's talk "A Plea to My Sisters" as a backdrop for our discussion. It's so important that both men AND women recognize that God has a great work for us to do! Mostly within our own homes. I am grateful to be a part of all this, full-time, now and forever. It's the best! The meeting went long and we missed our Zone Training Meeting ): but that's okay we had a great night of teaching anyways. 
On Thursday we finally had time to weekly plan! That almost never happens. Then we exchanged with the Chinese Sisters ha ha I was with Sister Johnson and we went to visit a Chinese family. I guess in their culture if they give you something you're expected to eat it...ALL OF IT. Well, they gave us this red bean paste over this plastic-y noodle stuff? I don't even know what it was, I just know that I choked on it for like 2 minutes straight and the old Chinese grandma was looking at me, laughing, and slapping my back so hard I wanted to cry!!
Friday we went to another Zone Training Meeting, this time we actually made it on time, probably because we had to give a workshop. Their zone was so dead! No participation ha ha good thing we know how to fix that...we got up and said "get together in your districts and whoever has the funniest picture on their iPad wins!" Well that woke em up haha they had some good pictures! And after that we had a great discussion about nightly planning. We also taught a new girl, Karen, who has been coming to church for a year! She already read the entire Doctrine & Covenants! We asked her if she knew who any prophets were and she was like "Joseph Smith...I mean, he's the main one right?" #yesss
I think the biggest miracle was teaching June, the lady who walked in last week wanting to be baptized. Actually the miracle isn't necessarily teaching her, but the person she is! She is so prepared! So on our first lesson Sister Lemmon asked if we could kneel for the prayer and she was kind of confused but agreed and we had an amazing lesson. Well on Saturday when we taught her again we knelt down and she said "can I tell you a secret?" "I haven't been able to bend my knee for 20 years...until last week when we knelt down to pray, and now my knee is fine!" This was an amazing fulfillment to a promise from our president that if we would kneel with our investigators on the first lesson they would progress. Not only is she getting baptized in 4 weeks but her knee is healed!
Something weird I saw this week: a lady on the bus curling her eyelashes with a spoon...? Haha don't ask me how cause I don't know lol. I also found a crisp $10 bill on the sidewalk, and this cool bracelet when we got on an empty train...it's my lucky week I guess! Oh AND, I was on the subway and this lady kept looking at me and then writing stuff down in this journal..she was kinda creepin me out. Well when I was walking off the train I took a quick look at her journal and she had sketched me!! I was so flattered guys, I can't even tell you! I'm pretty much a model now I guess. Hah.
So this week was pretty drama-filled with our lil investigators and it's probably not needful to give all the details but I have learned very deeply that the gospel is the happiest way to live our lives, and that Satan will always attack those who choose to follow the gospel path, especially during and around important moments in their conversion. As I have been reading 2 Nephi 2 I am more and more grateful for the opposition in my life and especially on a mission that has strengthened my commitment to Christ. I love verse 2: "Nevertheless, Jacob, my firstborn in the wilderness, thou knowest the greatness of God; and He shall consecrate thine afflictions for thy gain." I might have lost a lot of things to come on a mission (weight not being one of them ha ha) but I know that what I gave from serving a mission has proven far more valuable than what I gave up. I love Elder Holland: "I want to give something back, but I never want it to be (in King David’s words) “that which doth cost me nothing.” I hope the service we give causes us to stretch ourselves and cling to the Lord in all we do. "All things have been done in the wisdom of Him who knoweth all things." I love being a missionary here and it'll probably break my heart in half to leave next week, it's been the greatest time of my life.
I love you all!!
Sister Wadsworth









b


No comments:

Post a Comment